GSGWM's Mobile STEM Lab Campaign
Girl Scouts of the Green and White Mountains thanks The Finlay Foundation and our donors for meeting the matching challenge to help us raise funds for our mobile STEM lab. The goal of raising $25,000 toward this “aweSTEM” project was met a month early! As of June 9, we are only $38,000 short of our total funding goal of $150,000 for this special van and its STEM programming and support.
We are working to ensure that the more than 10,000 girls we serve across New Hampshire and Vermont have access to STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and leadership programs. We are seeking your help to buy and outfit a vehicle that can bring this programming to girls no matter where they live, what their backgrounds are, or what their socio-economic status is.
We can make that happen with your support of our Mobile STEM Lab initiative. Our goal is to deliver state-of-the-art STEM programs to every part of our council territory. We plan to invest $150,000 in the first year of the plan, spending $100,000 to purchase, outfit, and customize the van, and $50,000 on the marketing, outreach, staffing and operational costs to run the program. The Mobile STEM Lab will be on the road during the full program year and can be requested and reserved by troops or communities. The van will also be a feature at our day and resident camps throughout the year, giving camp staff the opportunity to enhance outdoor programs with unique STEM activities. We anticipate being able to serve not only existing Girl Scouts, but many girls and their families who would not otherwise have had the opportunity to participate in hands-on and innovative STEM programs.
Access to quality STEM programs is crucial. Our Girl Scouts are hungry for female empowerment programming, and this mobile program vehicle will allow us to deliver quality programming to the 80% of our membership living in rural and hard-to-access areas. When girls who are interested in the sciences don’t see a future for themselves in those fields, their career choices are limited.
Here’s what your contribution to our Mobile STEM Lab will provide:
- Program space capable of seating 12 girls and a facilitator.
- A retrofitted interior with state-of-the-art technology including but not limited to mobile broadband, mounted SmarTV monitor, Surface tablets, microscopes, and a 3D printer.
- On-site delivery of STEM programs and activities that are focused on the needs and interests of girls.
- Detailed facilitation instruction for volunteers to further expand the capability of the council to reach girls with innovative and specialized programming at the community level.
- Dedicated program staff to ensure consistent delivery of Girl Scout curriculum.